The Children’s Department at Central Public Library is holding a short fiction contest! Turn in your 600-word entries on or before November 30, 2017. Prizes will be announced in mid-December. Check out the webpage for more information.
Need some ideas? Here are a few writing prompts to get you started:
- A group of children on vacation see an old house. A local tells them the house is haunted.
- A boy receives a letter from his future self.
- A student at school disappears, but you are the only one who remembers him.
- A mermaid is tricked into giving up her magic shell.
- A boy in ancient Egypt learns a secret about the pharaoh.
- A teacher finds that someone has stolen the answers to Thursday’s test.
- An alien lands in your backyard.
- A class pet decides to escape from his classroom.
- Your best friend moves away at the beginning of summer break.
- A musician practices. When she finishes, she hears someone clapping for her, but there is no one in the room.
- A girl dreams of being a pirate.
- A boy finds a hidden door in his attic.
- A dinosaur arrives at the zoo.
Please make a small donation – whatever you can afford is appreciated – to help support this and other children’s classes and events.