The library will be using Smoke Gets in Your Eyes as a basis for a series of classes and sessions about death acceptance and end-of-life issues in late March and early April. This is a fun book about a heavy topic. Right now, the library has a small number of copies to give away! Just go up to the reference or customer service desks at Central Park Library and ask. I’m not sure how long they’ll last.
The classes currently on the Library’s event calendar include:
- Being Mortal screening and discussion with representatives from Kaiser
- A book discussion for Smoke Gets in Your Eyes
- A tour of Mission City Memorial Park Cemetery with Mary Boyle, our local history and genealogical librarian
- Talk about hospice and palliative care with Hospice of the Valley
- A death cafe, where everyone can speak about their feelings, fears, and wishes related to death and dying. Representatives from Bill Wilson Center’s Center for Living with Dying will be there to guide the discussion.
This is a wonderful opportunity to explore an important subject.