On Monday September 27, 2010, Foundation and Friends members and volunteers met. The meeting was a semi-annual social event which included viewing movies made by Library staff and young patrons, enjoying popcorn and hot dogs, and deciding which programs requested by the Library staff received $27,000 in grants.
The grant money was accumulated over approximately six months from the profits made selling used books in the Central Library’s lobby book store, selling high-value books on Amazon.com, and selling thousands of books at a monthly book sale held the 3rd Saturday of each month except December.
Since the grants that were requested slightly exceeded the money that was available, several individuals volunteered anonymously to fund some of the smaller items that otherwise would have not received funding.
The following list describes the grants that received funding:
- Funded early literacy learning tools such as Lego blocks1 and art supplies to be used with Children’s programs, and Books on CD and PlayAways with storybooks that parents and children can share together
- Funded the purchase of audio books and DVDs to keep the Teen Services collection current
- Funded the purchase of a projection screen for use in the Mission Library’s Family Reading Center1
- Funded a “Browsing Collection” of books for the Central Park Library to supplement the permanent collection
- Funded a recognition event for the Library’s many volunteers1
The next event at which grant requests will be considered will take place in April of 2011—it is the annual Chocolate Party! If you would like an invitation to the event, drop by our book store or a Saturday sale and purchase a Friends membership for $15 (for an individual) or $25 (for the entire family).
1Funded through the generosity of an anonymous donor